May 22, 2017
Dear Sophomore/Junior Student:
As you prepare for summer vacation, please be reminded that De La Salle is instituting a mandatory service-hours program for all 2017-18 sophomores and juniors. We are truly excited about providing this opportunity to serve our various community organizations, and we look forward to witnessing the impact of this service on both our community and our students.
Mrs. Perry Rogers will coordinate this program, and any questions should be addressed to Mrs. Rogers by email at [email protected].
Students may attain service hours only from APPROVED AGENCIES—agencies that are included on our Service Hours Agency List, which will be posted on our website, OR agencies specifically approved, in writing, by Mrs. Rogers.
Here are some informational items regarding this program:
Sophomores: 15 Total Hours
Juniors: 20 Total Hours
- Hours can be completed during the summer months.
- All hours can be completed at one agency.
- Students must turn in a letter on agency letterhead detailing the number of hours worked by the student (save any letters from the summer).
- Certain activities at De La Salle will satisfy service hour requirements; however, no more than 4 service hours for either grade level can be satisfied at De La Salle or at De La Salle events.
- Students may attain service hours only from agencies that appear on our Approved Service Hour Agency list, to be posted on our website and on edline; any other agency must be specifically approved, in writing, by Mrs. Rogers.
- Students should keep an informal record of hours worked, dates worked, and places worked, in addition to what is turned in for De La Salle record-keeping.
ALL HOURS MUST BE COMPLETED BY APRIL 1, 2018
Below are the steps to completing service hours:
- Decide what hours you can work.
- Call the agency and set up a time that works for you and for them.
- Remind them that you are completing hours for De La Salle High School.
- Work your hours.
- Upon completion of your hours, ask for a letter on the agency letterhead that includes your name and the number of hours worked.
- Save the letter and be prepared to turn it in to De La Salle.
- Some hours can be achieved by serving at De La Salle; ask Mrs. Rogers about these opportunities.
Thank you for your willingness to serve those most in need and for your commitment to this program.
Have a wonderful summer, and I look forward to seeing you in August!