Drive Dat Academy
Louisiana has passed a law for teenagers awaiting to obtain a driver’s license. This law is known as the Graduate License Program . This law states that any teenager who wants to obtain a full driver’s license must successfully complete three stages. Drive Dat Academy will host class at our location with colorful lectures, guest speakers, and the use of technology to assist you in the journey through all three stages.
STAGE 1: LEARNER’S PERMIT
1. Must be a minimum of fifteen (15) years of age.
2. Must complete thirty (30) hours classroom instruction and eight (8) hours behind-the-wheel driving instruction.
3. Must pass vision exam and knowledge exam with at least 80% accuracy.
4. Is authorized to drive only with a licensed adult at least twenty-one (21) years of age or sibling at least eighteen (18) years of age.
5. Must maintain learner’s license for a minimum of one hundred eighty (180) days and cannot advance to intermediate stage until attainment of sixteenth (16th) birthday
Note: Upgrading from Permit to Intermediate (age 16):
Effective January 1, 2011, no applicant shall be issued a Class “E” intermediate license unless a signed statement by the parent or legal guardian is provided to the department attesting that the applicant has a minimum of fifty (50) hours of behind-the-wheel driving experience with a licensed parent, guardian, or adult at least twenty-one (21) years of age. At least fifteen (15) of these hours must be night time driving.
STAGE 2: INTERMEDIATE LICENSE
1. Must have completed STAGE 1.
2. Must be a minimum of sixteen (16) years of age.
3. Must pass the road skills driving test with at least 80% accuracy.
4. Is prohibited from driving between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., unless accompanied by a licensed adult at least twenty-one (21) years of age or sibling at least eighteen (18) years of age. Additionally, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., an intermediate licensee may not transport more than one passenger under the age of twenty-one (21) years of age that is not a member of the immediate family.
5. Must be maintained until seventeenth (17th) birthday.
STAGE 3: FULL LICENSE
1. Must successfully complete STAGES 1 AND 2 OR
2. Must be at least seventeen (17) years of age prior to application for first license.
Drive Dat Academy will be offering classes on April 30th, May 1st, May 7th and May 8th. The 30 hours of class time and 8 hours of driving will cost $475.00. The classes will be taught during two consecutive weekends at Drive Dat Academy, 6701 Airline Highway, and Metairie LA 70003. The classes will be from 9 AM to 5 PM every day. There will be a mandatory 1 hour session for parents on day 1 (April 30th) starting at 9AM. This session is important, since paper work will need to be signed and information on all 3 stages of the course will be given. In order for the student to be eligible for the course, the parents must be in attendance at this mandatory meeting. A student will not be able to take the course if a parent is not present at this meeting. Drive Dat Academy looks forward to meeting the parents and the students who will be participating in the Spring class.
Questions: Call Sharon Stillwell 504.533.9495 (Tuesday – Saturday 9 am – 5 pm)